Use logic and work your brain with these fun brain teasers.
1. A lift (elevator) is on the ground floor. There are four people in the lift, including me. When the lift reaches the first floor, one person gets out and three people get in. The lift goes up to the second floor, and two people get out and six people get in. It then goes up to the next floor, where no one gets out but twelve people get in. Halfway up to the next floor up, the lift cable snaps and crashes to the floor. Everyone else either dies or is injured. How did I survive without any injuries?
2. There is a small diamond inside of a wine bottle. The wine bottle is all glass and has a cork sealing the top. You cannot break or damage the glass in any way, and you cannot pull the cork out of the bottle. How do you get the diamond?
3. A farmer has five haystacks in one field and four haystacks in another. How many haystacks would he have if he combined them all in one field?
4. How much dirt is there in a hole that measures two feet by three feet by four feet?
5. Billie was born on December 28, yet her birthday always falls in the summer. How is this possible?
6. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded weapons, and the third is full of lions that haven’t eaten in three years. Which room is safest for him?
7. Two fathers and two sons all decide to go fishing one day. They’re all going to participate but upon arrival at a nearby pond, only three lines go out into the water. How is that possible?
8. In British Columbia, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not?
9. If you were running in a race and you passed the person in second place, what place would you be in now?
10. A poor man walks into a bar and starts talking with a really rich man. The poor man says, “You know, I know every song in the world. I bet all your fortune and possessions that I can find a song with any name you want.” The rich man, laughing, accepts and says that he bets him to find a song with his daughter’s complete name in it. Her name is Julie- Monique-Alexandrina. A few minutes later, the poor man exits the bar with the rich man’s wallet, keys to his car and home and in possession of all his goods. The poor man won the bet. How?
Clever Brain Teaser Answers
- I got off on the second floor.
- Push the cork into the bottle.
- One. If he combines all his haystacks they all become one big stack.
- There is no dirt in a hole.
- Billie lives in the southern hemisphere (e.g., Australia).
- The third room as the lions are all dead from starvation.
- They represent three generations: a grandfather who is a father, his son who is also a father, and his son.
- You can’t take a picture with a wooden leg. You need a camera, cell phone or iPad to take a photo.
- You would be in second place. You passed the person in second place, not first place.
- The song was “Happy Birthday.”